The Monkey and The Crocodiles Week 7 Story

Bibliography. "The Crocodile and The Monkey's Heart" from Jakata Anthology

Once upon a time in a forest filled with different animals lived a monkey. He loved to eat different kind of fruits and loved to explore his home, the forest. One day as he was running around, he noticed a pond with 2 crocodiles living there. He was so nervous so he decided to not go too close to the pond. The 2 crocodiles, mother and father, had seen the monkey before but had never tried to talk to this creature. The mother crocodile loved this little monkey and wanted his heart more than anything, she wanted to rip it out and eat it.

"Hey, you there on land, why don't you come closer," says the father. 

"You guys are scary and so silly to think I would even take a step closer towards you two," the monkey shouts out.

A few days go by and the monkey hasn't even shown his face to the two crocodiles. "Where do you think that monkey is, I want his heart to myself," says the mother crocodile to her husband. "I will get his heart to you and make him all yours," exclaims the father.

Eventually the monkey shows up again, nervous as all can be. "Hey, you haven't been back here for a while, where have you been," the father asks. 

"I was scared and never wanted to come back over here but something was calling me home," says the monkey. The father gentle asks him to come closer so his wife can eat his heart out. The monkey comes closer and the three of them have a conversation. The monkey enters the water on the back of the mother and this little guy falls in love with her. They play in the water, jump around and have so many conversations. 

"You know monkey, I wanted to rip your heart out and eat it all to myself, but I really enjoy your company and decided that it was better if you just stopped by everyday and came to play with me and my husband," the mother says to the monkey. 

Over the next couple weeks, the monkey stops by the pond everyday and plays with the crocodiles.


Authors Note: In the original story, the father tried to trick him and tell him on the other side of the pond that their was so many good fruits he could eat so he would hop on his back and then the mother would rip his heart out and eat him. The mother wanted to rip the monkeys heart but didn't get a chance to because the monkey fooled the father saying his heart was on top of a tree and to let him go get it.  I decided to make the ending like the crocodiles had found someone to come and play with them to create friendships. I changed up a lot of this story because I felt as if an animal shouldn't be tortured and get his heart ripped out. 



Monkey and Crocodile playing in the pond



Comments

  1. Hey Logan!

    I really like your story. I've never read the original source story so I had to read that as well. You did a great job retelling the story. I like how timid you make the monkey to be. The monkey was having trouble trusting the crocodiles until they persuaded him to come into the pond. I like how you had the crocodiles not consume the poor monkey because of his kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Logan, you did an awesome job retelling the Monkey and Crocodile story; it kind of reminded me of a children's book, especially with the photo at the end. I like how you changed the tone of the story by making it more kind hearted and true to your beliefs. You are right, that no one wants to read about an animal being tortured, even if it is fiction. You did a good job of using your creative writing skills to enhance each character's new role.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Logan's Introduction

The Talking Turtle and The Kings Boys Week 4 Story